Granite is a naturally occurring stone that is composed mainly of quartz, feldspars, micas and other minerals that melted into a liquid mass. Granite comes from quarries all over the world including Italy, Brazil, India, Africa, and North America.
We don’t recommend cutting directly on your granite countertops as granite does have the potential to scratch and chip, however it can be repaired. Cutting on stone also dulls knife wear. Smart Stone is expert in terms of fixing your countertops and making it polish.
For everyday use, mild soap and warm water are all that is needed to clean your countertops. We also recommend using a natural stone cleaner on a routine basis to maintain the polish of your counters. Our favourite product is GranQuartz 3-in-1 spray which cleans, polishes and seals (available at our showroom). Smart Stone is one of the best aside from our professional installers, we just dont work for your countertops but will give you tips on how to take care and maintain your countertops.
Once you have decided on how to organize your space, it is time to consider the type of countertops and wall you would like. It is tempting to choose based on looks alone, but you should consider the durability of the material, maintenance, and cost. So what do you need to keep in mind when choosing stone for your space?
What kind of cook are you? Do you cook daily? Occasionally? Only for Entertainment? Never? Does your food tend to stain surfaces? Your choice of stone is dependant on your style of living and type of cooking.
* While marble is often popular for rolling dough, it can be prone to staining, chipping and cracking. But if your heart is set on marble, you may want to consider having a special section of your countertop set in a different stone for those other chores. You should make sure that the marble counters are sealed with professional grade stain resistant sealers.
* If you cook regularly, you should pay attention to the heat resistance of the stone. Granite and quartz are good options.
* Darker shades of granite are more stain and heat resistant, and less likely to show stains.
Do you entertain a lot? Is you kitchen used more as a gathering place for friends, rather than for cooking? If yes, expect more wear and tear, since guests may not be as careful with your countertop as you are. You may not be as concerned with heat resistance.
* Visual and aesthetic appeal of the stone will be important.
* Consider issues such as the visibility of seams and the shape or cut of the stone.
* Pick a stone that does not scratch easily. For example, marble is much softer than granite, and much more sensitive to acidic substances such as lemons, red wine, or vinegar.
So when you make your choice, you may want to think about:
Granite – This is the most popular choice in countertop, it is available in a wide variety of colors, shades, and beautiful textures and vibrant patterns and veining. You can choose a polished finish or a matte look. Prices vary from relatively inexpensive for the most popular stones, to quite expensive when shipped from exotic locations.
Engineered Stone – These provide much more variety in color choices, are extremely durable, and easy to maintain. Their costs are about the same as granite, but they do not require frequent sealing.
Marble, Limestone, and Soapstone – These are all softer stones that require more care, and gentle delicate use. They bring their own unique aesthetic appeal with their beautiful textures and patterns. They are relatively chip, dent, and heat-resistant. Admittedly, nothing beats marble for sheer elegance and beauty! Acidic substances (lime, lemon, vinegar, or wine) can easily etch and mark these surfaces.
In all cases, ensure that your selected supplier seals your stone countertop or surface a few times before you start using it. And then, reseal it once a year.
Why Choose Shiva Granite and Stone?
SGS offers knowledgeable, reliable resources, and can provide you with low cost, beautiful stone from around the world.
Our team of experts can assist you in designing, fabricating, installing, and finishing stunning countertops and surfaces with Granite, Marble, Slate, and Quartz. You will find us to be very competitive in terms of price, custom fabrication of stone, superior service, and product quality.